Sunday, May 30, 2010

Elder Hostile

I have just completed a book on Fr. Michael Pfleger, the Radical Disciple who has headed St. Sabina Church in Chicago for almost 30 years. It will be published in the fall, and frankly, I would like to arouse a general interest in this man and his work even beyond the two existing throngs, one of which considers him a saint while the other regards him as the incarnation of all evil. Here's a column I wrote on the subject that was posted recently on Chicago Catholic News. Feel free to post comments here  -  Full column at Chicago Catholic News

1 comment:

  1. I was quite surprised when I saw Fr. Pfleger speak at Columbia's Critical Encounter series earlier this year. I had known about him for many years and my impression was that of a grandstanding extremist. After actually seeing him speak at Columbia College I changed my opinion. He certainly has his flaws but, contrary to my expectations, is also subtle, nuanced and, more importantly, a man of high integrity who has truly transformed a neighborhood through relentless effort. However, as his life's work has been to challenge traditional authority, how much of his popular image is distorted to marginalize his ability to challenge existing institutions?

    ReplyDelete